Current:Home > NewsInvestigators pore over evidence from the home of alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer as search ends -Zenith Profit Hub
Investigators pore over evidence from the home of alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer as search ends
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 15:09:27
NEW YORK (AP) — An intense police search of the Long Island home of Rex Heuermann is now complete, authorities said Tuesday as they ended a 12-day hunt for evidence that involved ripping up the yard and the discovery of basement vault containing hundreds of weapons kept by the man accused of killing at least three women more than a decade ago.
At a press conference outside the Massapequa Park home where Heuermann lived with his wife and two kids, Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said police had found a “tremendous amount of information” during their search.
He declined to describe the bulk of the material, but said there was not a “singular piece of evidence” that jumped out to him.
Other news Excavator seen digging in backyard of man charged in Gilgo Beach killings Investigators have been digging in the yard at the Long Island home of Rex Heuermann. The New York architect was charged earlier this month with killing at least three women and burying their remains on a remote stretch of beach highway. He came face to face with an alleged serial killer. 12 years later, his tip helped crack the case As police comb through the home of a man charged in a string of serial killings in New York, one witness is frustrated it took so long to solve the crime.The search turned up at least 279 weapons kept inside a thick basement vault large enough for a person to walk into, Tierney said. Police took boxes of additional evidence from the house, which he described as a “very cluttered environment.”
An effort in recent days to dig up the backyard in search of possible clues about where the murders were committed did not yield any “large items of evidence,” he added.
A coalition of law enforcement agencies have been pouring over the property since July 14th, when Heuermann was arrested and charged with killing three women – Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Costello, and Megan Waterman – and dumping their bodies along a remote stretch of coastal highway near Long Island’s Gilgo Beach more than a decade ago. Prosecutors identified him as the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Heuermann, who worked as an architect in Manhattan, has denied the charges through his lawyer.
The killings, all of which involved women engaged in sex work, happened while Heuermann’s family members were out of town, according to court papers. There is no indication his wife or children had knowledge of the crimes, Tierney said.
During the search, police used a scanning technology to identify “disturbances” in the ground outside Heuermann’s property, Tierney said. An excavator dug up the yard, and investigators with shovels could be seen scraping through freshly upturned earth.
Police were also seen pulling a large doll encased in glass and a portrait of a woman with a bruise on her face from the house. All of the material recovered from the house will soon be tested for DNA and blood samples that may be relevant to the case.
“We won’t know exactly what we have for quite some time, just given the sheer volume of evidence that was taken,” Tierney said.
The end of the search comes as police in Las Vegas and South Carolina are beginning their own investigations into whether the suspect may have been connected to any unresolved cases. Heuermann owns a timeshare in Las Vegas and planned to retire in a remote area of South Carolina, where his brother currently lives.
Tierney declined to discuss specifics in the other cases on Tuesday, but noted the investigation “is not limited to New York state.”
Heuermann is due back in court on August 1st.
veryGood! (43)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Shenae Grimes Reveals Where She Stands With 90210 Costars After Behind-the-Scenes “Tension”
- Zelenskyy fires Ukrainian military conscription officials in anti-corruption drive
- Maui's wildfires are among the deadliest on record in the U.S. Here are some others
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Deal over Florida’s redistricting plan could lead to restoration of Black-dominant district
- New McDonald's meal drops today: The 'As Featured In Meal' highlights 'Loki' Season 2
- Indiana revokes licenses of funeral home and director after decomposing bodies and cremains found
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Oprah, Meryl Streep, Michael B. Jordan to be honored at Academy Museum Gala
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Hundreds still missing in Maui fires aftermath. The search for the dead is a grim mission.
- New McDonald's meal drops today: The 'As Featured In Meal' highlights 'Loki' Season 2
- Little League won't have bunk beds at 2023 World Series after player injury
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- University presidents elevate free speech under new partnership
- Oprah, Meryl Streep, Michael B. Jordan to be honored at Academy Museum Gala
- Save 20% on an LG C2 Series, the best OLED TV we’ve ever tested
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Woman found dead at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park; police investigating 'suspicious' death
Celebrate Netflix’s 26th Anniversary With Merch Deals Inspired by Your Favorite Shows
Russia targets western Ukraine with missiles overnight and hits civilian infrastructure
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Ex-FBI counterintelligence official pleads guilty to conspiracy charge for helping Russian oligarch
Is AI a threat to the job market? Not necessarily, and here's why.
Alabama inmate arrested after ‘security incident’ at state prison